Century Old Log Cabin
The log house, re-assembled in 1980-83 at the Terrace Mill near
the dam and Keystone arch bridge is one of the first homes in Terrace.
It was originally located west of the river in the glade directly
behind the mill. Earl and Lorraine Knutson donated the house
to the Foundation realizing it had local historical significance.
Although the original ownership has not been verified in research
to date, it was occupied around the turn of the century by Lisa Lovig.
The primary use of the log structure was as a granary from about 1912-13
on. This was a very common practical use for those strong structures
as families moved into larger wooden frame homes. The timbers are
of nativeoak. Several lower ones on the riverside (now north side)
were replaced at some time. Nails were not used in the original structure
and several logs are pegged together. The corner notch is very typical
Scandinavian. At different times, the cabin served as a local tavern
and later as a home for nine.